THIS BLOG HAS MOVED! PLEASE VISIT WWW.MELINDASFITNESSBLOG.COM! FOR THE LATEST UPDATES & POSTS! Thank you! ;)

Disclaimer:
Welcome! The purpose of this blog is to share fitness tips, fitness routines and supplements that have worked well for me. Everybody has their own opinions related to fitness and I am just sharing mine. You are welcome to share your thoughts and experiences as well. If there is anything else you'd like to see just let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate your needs. :)

11.02.2008

Getting Back Your Before-Baby Body

<--Hours before delivery. 3.25.08

You may not know that I never got into a regular exercise routine until after having my second son. I honestly think that because I started exercising within a matter of weeks, that it helped to get my pre-body back even faster. I'm still not where I want to be, but I am getting there. I'm getting there because I've stayed dedicated to working out. It's been amazing both for my physical health and also my mental health.

I have been suffering from severe depression following an unfortunate time in my life off and on for over 10 years. I've also been prescribed different anti-depressants throughout the past few years, which I am totally FOR. I was miserable prior to finding the right anti-depressant for me. But what I have found, is that by adding regular exercise into my lifestyle, it's really helped my mental health. Exercising post-baby can greatly help lessen the mom's chances of experiencing postpartum depression and I can honestly say that I didn't have to go through it. (I had a very mild case of it after having my first son, but I attribute that to having already been suffering from severe depression because of years prior.)

Lisa Druxman, the creator of Stroller Strides and author of "Lean Mommy" (Center Street, 2007) has created a guideline for women to follow post-natal in regards to working out. This is a guideline only and may not work for everyone.

Begin pelvic floor rehab immediately: Kegels.

Weeks 0-2: Focus on gentle activity; begin pelvic tilts and small abdominal crunches.

Weeks 2-4: Short walks, 5-15 minutes.

Weeks 4-6: Maintain routine, don't rush progression.

*Always check with your doctor before starting any physical activity after a birth.

You can view the rest of the article here.

Miss Melinda

0 comments: